By: Joyell Nevins – CFFM blogger
Whether talking on the phone, speaking in a store, or communicating online, “How Are You” is a generic, general question that American English speakers say.
So what’s the general, general immediate response? “Fine” or “fine, thank you” of course.
But what if, as believers, we shake that up? You can turn a mundane exchange into a moment to spill over bright light and the fruit of the spirit into the unsuspecting.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22 HCSB
(Jesus to his disciples) “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” John 8:12 NKJV
So, here are some different responses to that age-old question:
- I’m having a GREAT day; how about you?
- Amazing; thank you for asking!
- Blessed better than I deserve.
- I am loved well.
- Covered in grace; hallelujah!
- I’m doing great, because no matter what happens today, I’m still going to heaven.
- Blessed because I’m going to heaven and all hell can’t stop me!
- I’d say I’m a 10 out of 10.
- Me and Jesus are having a good day today.
- Hanging with Jesus; how about you? Or if you want to up the game: Having a blast with Jesus; how about you?
- God is good, and it’s a good day!
- God is good, and He’s good to me.
- Somewhere between better and best.
- If I had a tail, I would wag it.
- Sunshine all day long! (those last three are courtesy of PairedLife)
- Serving a God of miracles – do you need one?
- Serving a God of miracles; want one?
- This last one, which is better to use when they’re ringing up several of your items, comes from Trish Barbera: “This is a GREAT day. Good things are going to happen in and through me today. This is a day of victory and breakthrough. In fact, this may be the very best day of my life.
How about you? What is YOUR response to that traditional greeting, “How are you?” Let’s share some of our light today!